TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - So with blankets, say you have a hard street drive, get on
People Seeking Info

Subject So with blankets, say you have a hard street drive, get on

Posted by Quick_Z on May 28, 2015 at 10:27 AM
  This message has been viewed 210 times.

In Reply To Re: As it is without a turbo blanket posted by EngineerLV on May 27, 2015 at 05:54 PM

Message the hwy ramp, or do a few 0-60 runs in a deserted area with no traffic, and you boost up to 18-20 psi a few times. Are you saying you have to let it cool down (cruise or idle) for 30 minutes to allow for enough cooling?

If going by 3 times the time when using heat shields, I usually cool down for about 2-3 min of idle after heavy boost. I could understand 9 minutes, but 30 minutes would seem excessive. After 30 minutes the turbo would cool down even if the car is not running, even with blanket insulation, so if it is idling and has oil/water flow, it should take much less than 30 minutes to cool down with constant oil/water flow. I guess maybe a thermocouple on the exhaust housing could give you an idea. 30 min just seems excessive after a hard drive.

At what temperature would the exhaust housing be considered "cool" enough?

Also, is fully synthetic oil that bad, or more forgiving, when it comes to coking as regular oil?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.